Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Who I Am, or, Why You Should Care What I Think



Hello and welcome to Bathory's Closet. I'm Kathryn Troy: a budding novelist, a self-trained expert of horror in all its iterations, a published historian and Adjunct Professor, an apprentice baker, and a wife and mother of two.

The intention of this sacred space is to act as a sounding board for my musings on horror, fantasy, myth, adventure, the occasional romance, and most especially, anything and everything having to do with vampires. Things under review here will be litearture, film, tv shows, video games, etc. etc. ad nauseum, as they pass through my psyche. I may not view the most up to date releases and titles--you certainly won't find the whole of the year's bestseller lists covered here--but rather a tightly knit family of creativity united by common themes of awesomeness. And, as is par for the course at this stage in my life, it will be one of many vessels through which my own powers of fiction are honed. You will be privy to my innermost thoughts about works in progress.

How did I start writing?
I love genre fiction with extreme passion. Horror, fantasy, mystery, paranormal--they have absorbed me from childhood, from The Chronicles of Narnia to Bruce Coville's Into the Land of the UnicornsDracula is one of the few tomes I have read several times, and consider sacrosanct. My own stories have filled my head for longer than I can remember. But I never really tried to get them down until a few years ago. I was intimidated by words--would the right ones come, would they flow together, would the sum of their parts matter to anyone but me? For whatever reason, some stories stuck. Stayed locked inside my head, replaying over and over again for years like a film I'd seen a million times but did not own. When I was staring down an LIRR commute into Manhattan and down to 23rd Street, I thought I'd spend the time reading, something I had not been able to do as much after the birth of my darling Annabelle. But what ended up happening was quite different. I wrote.

Looking to get in touch? Drop me a line at josnarffle@gmail.com




4 comments:

  1. I love your website's content. I think you really have something wonderful brewing here. I just find it very hard to read. Black transparent background with blue lettering--it's very stylistic but not easy on the eyes. I hope you don't mind my observation--we write in the same genre and I would like to see all of us horror writers represented to the best of our ability. Good luck, and congrats on being published! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Yes all comments are appreciated. I get a little googly-eyed myself, but haven't made a decision as to what's an improvement. I'd love to hear more about what you're working on, what inspires you!

      Delete
  2. Your mention of the severed hand reminds me of a scene from Peter Lorre's film The Beast with Five Fingers (1946), based on a William Fryer Harvey short story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kathryn. We exchanged messages yesterday about beta reading. I can't find our discussion on the Goodreads page today but if you are still interested, please email me at bmccandless@austin.rr.com. Thanks, Bruce

    ReplyDelete