Sunday, May 31, 2020

A Good Dare Alternative: Suddenly You

The fact that I keep talking again and again about looking for a romance author that I like other than Tessa Dare should tell you everything you need to know about what I've been reading lately.

Suddenly You by [Lisa Kleypas]It's not my usual way of doing things, to read voraciously in one genre title after title without switching it up. But my reading habits are coming up against my writing habits. And right now, I am in the thick of finishing up my manuscript for The Shadow of Theron, a hefty fantasy title. (more on that in my bio) So my brain can't even think of reading someone else's fantasy at the moment, which is my preferred genre. All the same though, I like to read other people's work in between chapters to refresh my brain and get me thinking for the next one. Hence the quick brainless reads happening at warp speed.

So- now that I've explained myself, and why this blog has taken a heavy turn toward the romance titles - the book on today's chopping block is Suddenly You by Lisa Kleypas. I was pleasantly surprised by this book and the chemistry between the shark-like publisher Jack and the author-cum-spinster Amanda. In an unusual twist, rather than acting loutish and proving everyone else right about what a brute Jack is, he never presents himself as more or less than he is, and his attraction to Amanda is straightforward from the beginning - that is, except for the very very beginning, where Amanda mistakes him for the boy-toy birthday present that she buys for herself. Jack is happy to oblige, of course, and the tension comes from her mortification when she discovers who he truly is. But by then, the die has been cast- for both of them. Jack's desire for her is palpable and written in a compelling fashion, which I really liked, and the steamy scenes were executed well. Kleypas pushed the boundaries of the sensual encounters I have read up to this point, and did it in a way that felt intrinsic to both characters.

There was no major moment where a character lost my respect or my sense of their likability, and that's always what I'm looking for with new romance.

So this one was a win - hopefully when I pick Kleypas up again, I will get a similar result. Then I will be very happy.

K. Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment